Last night I had a wonderful time getting together with my college friends. It doesn’t happen as often as it should- some are off in different cities but mostly it doesn’t happen just because we’re all going down different paths and are so busy. It was incredible to get together though- I left feeling happier than I’ve felt in so long and today I already miss them again!
We had a BBQ and I brought my pasta salad, which has been well received before. It’s very simple and easy so I figured I’d share:
1 box of bowtie pasta (bonus cheapness if you get it on sale!)
3-4 peppers: I did 2 green, one red and one yellow (bonus if you get them at a farmer’s market!)
1 container of cherry tomatoes
1 small jar of pesto- Classico is the best tasting cheap pesto and the small jar is the perfect size for this recipe
– Put pasta on to boil and set a timer for 1.5 minute less than the recommended al dente time
– Cut up peppers into small chunks- around a 1/2 in x 1/2 in
– Cut cherry tomatoes in halves
– When the pasta is about 1-1.5 minutes from being done, throw in your chopped up peppers. Don’t worry- it won’t get rid of all of the crunch, it just softens them up some.
– Boil 1 minute longer and then drain. Toss under cold water until pasta and peppers are room temp
– Put pasta and peppers back into pot and mix with cherry tomatoes and one small jar of pesto (feel free to add more if you like it pesto-heavy).
Let the flavors meld and you’re ready to go in a few hours!
Note: tastes better when shared with friends 🙂